My recent discovery of Quest Nutrition Tortilla Style Protein Chips ended up exposing another weak point in the whole low carb options thing:
In previous stints of low carbing, I avoided tomatoes altogether, thinking they were too high carb for me.
This time around, I’m trying to be a bit more reasonable (7 grams of net carbs per day is too hard to sustain!), so I’m opening up a bit.
... but damn, store-bought salsa can have a ton of sugar in it!
Generally speaking - in my pre-low-carb days - salsa is one of those things I just throw together, not really paying attention to the whats and how much-es.
So when I was recently making Keto Taco Salad, I decided I should probably come up with a solid, low carb salsa recipe that I can refer back to, not having to worry about tweaking carb counts each time.
... and here we are!
This salsa has a bit of kick to it - I find that helps me use less of it.
Feel free to use less jalapeno, to double - or triple - the recipe, etc.
This will keep in the fridge for about 4-5 days, but it rarely sticks around that long - a benefit to making a small batch!
Uses for Keto Salsa
- As a dip for low carb chips: Quest Chips, pork rinds, Cheese Crisps, etc.
- Dip your favourite low-carb veggies in it: Cucumber or zucchini slices, peppers, celery, etc.
- Use on my Keto Taco Salad
- Make some Keto nachos: Quest Tortilla Style Protein Chips and cheese... plus whatever else you want. Leftover chicken and sliced green onions are my go-to. Serve with this salsa and some sour cream.
- Use on a low carb burrito bowl. I use my Cilantro-Lime Cauliflower Rice as a base.
How to Make Low Carb Salsa
Chop your tomatoes, cilantro, and onion.
Finely chop your jalapeno.
Peel and press your garlic, and juice your lime.
Put everything into a mini food processor, blitz until it’s the texture you like.
Pico de Gallo Style Keto Salsa
Blitz until the tomatoes are small - but distinct - pieces.
Restaurant Style Keto Salsa
Blitz longer than for Pico style, basically pureeing it.
Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Transfer salsa to a covered container, chill until ready to use.
More Keto Mexican / Tex Mex Recipes
Looking for more Keto Tex Mex and Mexican inspired recipes? Here are a few ideas for you:
Share the Love!
Also, be sure to subscribe to my free email newsletter, so you never miss out on any of my nonsense.
Well, the published nonsense, anyway!
- 12 oz Ripe Roma tomatoes
- ¼ cup Chopped red onion
- ½ Jalapeno pepper seeded and chopped
- ⅓ cup Fresh cilantro packed
- 2-3 Garlic cloves pressed or finely mined
- 1 tablespoon Fresh lime juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place ingredients - except salt and pepper - in a mini food processor, blitz until everything is well chopped.
- For restaurant style, continue blitzing until tomatoes are mostly pureed.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste, chill until use.